Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Virginia Rambo Benson (1887 - 1969)


Rambo? It really is!

Yep, it really is. Virginia Rambo Benson..

Regina “Virginia” Rambo (1887 -1969) married Dr. Warren E. Benson 14 December 1917, at age 29.

I think she was good at breaking social taboos. She was also Hell on Wheels. I think she was regarded as the first woman driver with driver's license in Cobb County and she also was the only woman to go on a cross country race, if I have my facts right.

When the last street car trip was coming from Atlanta it was Virginia who organized a party aboard the street car and they partied all the way to Marietta.

She must have been a ball of energy.

I bet the old farts you see in pictures sitting in front of the courthouse and the drunks drinking from their bottle in brown paper sacks in Glover Park, said more than once, "There she goes again! She's a feisty one!"

She died 13 days before her 82nd birthday and is buried at the City Cemetery, or Citizens Cemetery.

I bet she is rattling some chains in the graveyard!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

SHE WAS MY SUNDAY SCHOOL TEACHER IN ABOUT THE FIFTH GRADE.YOU NEED TO GET HOME, THE BBQ NEEDS YOU. POURING RAIN YESTERDAY AND WE STILL HAD 35 PEOPLE. NO LADIES, ONLY THE BIG MACHO DUDES.
PR

kenju said...

She looks like a lot of fun, Eddie, and I would give my eye teeth to ride in that car!

Anonymous said...

ROCK, TELL KENJU TO GET THOSE EYE TEETH READY AND JACK AND I WILL PICK HER UP IN THE 1924 FORD CAMPAIGN CAR.

PR

Eddie said...

PR,
You have a long drive ahead of you: Raleigh, NC.

G said...

Eddie, good history lesson. Tell me, did Virginia go by the nickname "Regina"?

Her son and his wife (Warren Benson, Jr. and Ramona) lived next door to us for years. They had two beautiful daughters, Janice and Letha (Letha died in the 70's). Do you happen to know anything about Ramona Benson or daughter, Janice?

Back then, I never made the connection between the Rambo's and the Benson's. After reading your article, I finally get it.

Do you remember Sue Alred? She married Ed Rambo, Jr., who is/was also a doctor. Ed's parents lived on Whitlock Ave.

My mom's doctor in Marietta was Dr. Benson, so that must have been VRB's husband, although I never paid attention to how they were all related.

G said...

ooops ... I re-read the article ... you already said it was Regina!

Eddie said...

Geri,

Your comment is informative. I learned something. Thanks. And you answered your own question by picking through this blog. So, for that you are welcome.

G said...

Another glance at Regina ... what a pretty lady. And it's amazing how much Warren, Jr. resembled his mother.

I looked up Ramona Benson. I just have to give her a call. Lordy, I miss Marietta so much!

Eddie said...

G,
Every time we go away I can't want to get back. I can't imagine how you must feel.