Saturday, September 19, 2009

Impressing People


Tonight we went to a social event.

One lady told me she was chairwoman of something to do with the Cobb Symphony Orchestra. I did not do a “WOW!” so she told me again, to make sure I heard her right. Later, I think after she thought it over, she walked over and handed us 2 tickets for free admittance to the Cobb Symphony Orchestra. I can imagine her saying, “You don’t believe me? Here is proof! Not everybody can give you free tickets to the Cobb Symphony Orchestra!”

Then another lady told us she and close members of her immediate family have permanent seats for live musicals at the Fox Theater but she is thinking about letting it go, it is hard to keep up attending with all her social obligations and all.

That reminded me of a time in high school two of my friends were arrested for rolling somebody in an alley just around the corner from the Fox Theater. But I kept it to myself.

I wasn’t out to impress anybody.

4 comments:

G said...

Next time you see her, tell her you have a friend who knows the assistant bell captain at the Mirage. haha

On the Marietta scene, how could I not remember the beautiful old church you put up today?

Eddie said...

Geri,

That is the 1st Baptist Church on Church Street. It probably has had more face lifts than Joan Rivers since you left. It occupies the whole block - maybe two or three blocks after you count annexes and youth centers, parking lots, etc.

Jean Campbell said...

I vaguely remember passing that church in 1958 when we went to Band Clinic in Marietta (I only got to got because most of the real musicians were at some other function elsewhere. Our band director was somewhat impressed when I got 1st chair, second clarinet -- or was it 2nd chair, first clarinet? No matter, there were lots of clarinets.)

I often tell Lane, we have no one to impress but ourselves, and I am easily awed by us. Nobody else pays our taxes is another of my sayings.

Eddie said...

Nell,
I agree!
It is hard enough to impress myself - after that, I just don't have the energy to try to impressed somebody else.