Saturday, September 26, 2009

Technical Knowhow


Our house phones line were dead.

I called our neighbor on my cell phone.

RING RING RING

Loretta: Hello?

Me: Hi Loretta I see your phone is working. My phone is dead, but I know now it is not the neighborhood, it is just the phones here.

Loretta: John is not here now Eddie. I don’t know a thing about phones. I’ll have John go over and help you when he gets back.

Me: There is nothing to help. Just by you answering your phone tells me your phone is working. That is all I wanted to know. I’m having to use my cell phone. I’ll call the telephone company.

Loretta: Well, as soon as John comes home I’ll send him over.

Me: Don’t! (I know John knows nothing about electricity or telephones) They don’t even know how to set a digital thermostat). I’m going to call the telephone company.

Loretta: He will be home soon.

Me: Whatever.


Not only were our phones out but I found out soon our DSL and Internet connections were out. It was like I was stranded on an island.

About four hours later a technician arrived. I noticed he talked a lot to himself, like he was carrying on a two-way conversation. I figured one of his personalities knew what he was doing and the other was there to hand himself tools.

He and he got everything back up running again. That is the bottom line.

3 comments:

G said...

Cute ... Loretta insisting that John, clueless about phones, run over there to fix it.

Did the tech say what might have caused the problem? I would have gone thru withdrawal pains waiting for him to show up :)

Eddie said...

Geri,

Loretta is clueless about John being clueless. They are both 88 years old and are helpless in a modern world closing in on them.

kenju said...

Same thing happened here today about lunchtime. I couldn't get on-line and the cable tv was out. We went out to lunch, but it was fixed soon (thank God)!