Friday, September 25, 2009

The Invisible Man Frets Over Being Invisible


One of the things I find irritating when I am around people is that it seems I am invisible more than I am visible.

I don't like to be noticed and I don't like being ignored. OK, I admit that is a doubled-edged sword. I think what it is I don't like being noticed by a large group of people. I am more comfortable in a one to one situation.

Having said that, at this very moment I am putting on a show for several hundred people and I don't mind it at all.... maybe because I don't see them and they don't see me.

I remember one time I approached my first cousin Ray at a Hunter Reunion and addressed him by name and asked how he was doing. He said fine and said, "And who are you?"

I told him. And he told me it was nice meeting me.

I told him we have talked face to face five or six times before through the years. He told me I was wrong he had never seen me in his life. I knew his yankee accented voice, I knew his demeanor, and his bigness. He was a big guy. The fact is that I just too bland to stand out.

Plain people get ignored a lot.

Now, what is really irritating to me is for someone to ask to borrow a couple of bucks and forget to pay me back. I don't think that the person intentionally does not pay me back I think once he gets my money I am pushed back away from his on-line memory.... it has happened more than once. As a matter of fact twice. Once in about 1957 and again in 2009... is there no end?

I just wanted to mention it, not that it matters, one way or the other...I just wanted to get it off my chest and at the same time chalk up another blog post.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

ROCK,
YOU ARE AN ICON TO THOSE OF US WHO KNOW YOU.YOU ALWAYS STAND OUT IN THE CROWD.YOU JUST GOT TOO MANY COUSINS. I HAVE NO COUSINS, MAYBE YOU COULD WILL ME A FEW AND THEN I WOULD NOT BE NOTICED.BLESS MY GRANDSON'S HEART. HE IS GONNA HEAR."HERE COMES ANOTHER ONE OF THOSE RED HEADED ROPERS".

PR

Jean Campbell said...

Maybe your cousin has CRS disease, or is he just a natural jerk?

Funny how much more recognizable you are with a fist full of Andrew Jackson's photos.

Eddie said...

PR,
Thanks I think. But there are good icons and bad icons.

Nell,
He did have some kind of disease, he died.

G said...

On the flip side, how many of our MHS classmates who stood out in high school have maintained their aura of popularity? You, Eddie, are just a late bloomer.

Also, if you had presented articles, as you do now, in high school, you would have breezed thru with all A's.

G said...

A good friend from MHS called me out of the blue last night. I'll tell ya who (if you can't guess). Anyhow, I'm to ask you the name of your "patrol" unit in the boy scout troop at St. Josephs.

This is a test to see if you are "really" the one and only Rock. lol

Eddie said...

Geri,
That is the exact reason I didn't breeze through with all A's. I wrote funny long essay length daily to Dottie Golden, Wanda Bates, and two or three others.

If I remember right, I was in the Wolf Patrol in St. Joseph's Troop 132. Walker Gaines was in our Patrol, Tony Hester, Gene Sanges, maybe Thomas Stokes...
I give up, who called you?

kenju said...

I think you are imagining that you don't stand out, Eddie. I don't think I'd ever forget you!

G said...

It was Gresham!

We talked mainly about everyone's health and who's going to our reunion next Saturday. Then I mentioned your blog and the growing BBQ attendance. He's going to call you! Was great to hear from him.

Eddie said...

Geri,

My computer line has been down since about noon. So, it was Gresham! I have known Gresham since about the 1st grade. He lived on West Dixie, which wasn't far from us.
I ran into him and his mother (who taught my sister) at Larry Holcomb's funeral and I sat with her at Jimmy Pat Presley's funeral... we told each other who was who... if one of us didn't know a person the other one did. It sort of reminded me of two sports announcers in the press box, or two opera commentators telling what was really going on.

Eddie said...

Judy kenju,
What the meat of the posting was that is sure is convenient to overlook or ignore a bland person when you owe him money.

G said...

Yep, he mentioned that his mom taught Frances. He also mentioned several other familiar names, but after so many years, I can't put the faces with the names. I sure will miss going to the reunion! Remember Shirley Moss? She went to the last reunion and might be coming again ... with Katie.

The reason you didn't make A's on your essays to Dottie Golden, Wanda Bates, etc, is because you always included those unattractive cartoons depicting the dedicated teaching staff.
(hee hee, teasing)