Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Lloyd and Boyd




Lloyd is on top; Boyd is on bottom.

The Good Old Boys and Girls just had another eating meeting and had two guests of honor.

Our guests of honor were Lloyd Cox, our Marietta High School principal, and Boyd McKeown, the Marietta High School Band Director in our time.

They were both just like I remembered them – just like I left them. Lloyd was polite but had quizzical eyes while looking at us. I think he was amazed on how we have matured and turned into old men – or maybe amazed that we were still alive. Boyd was very polite and congenial – I think he felt very comfortable talking to different ones of us.

Lloyd told me he would be 90 years old soon. I was talking to Boyd about something he asked me to repeat it. He said he doesn’t hear as well as he did. I said that is a shame, he, being a music appreciator and all… and he said, “Or a blessing… those constant banging of drums is enough to drive anyone deaf.”

“Or crazy” I interrupted. He nodded enthusiastically.

Boyd brought his wife. She was sister to Pete Nesmith. Their family owned Sing's Truck Stop back in the 50's. Pete died as a young man.

Bill Dunaway, Marietta’s Mayor, made a brief appearance, and he disappeared as quickly as he appeared. Poof! and he was gone.

An old acquaintance name Homer showed up. Not THE Homer, if you know what I mean. This Homer lived on Hill Street and was known for doing some very wild things. For instance, one time at Kennesaw Mountain’s Easter Sunrise Service he emerged behind the giant Cross wearing a robe (he already had a beard) with his arms and hands reaching out and caused quiet a stir.

The below pictures are just samples of good times with friends before we take it to the next level and die.







9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Over 50 years since I last saw Mr. Cox, but I recognized him even before I read your article. His big toothy smile gives him away I have fond memories of Mr. Cox!

Eddie, the last photo ... is that you?
G

Eddie said...

Geri,
No, I was on the other side of the camera.

Anonymous said...

G,

Anonymous said...

THE LAST PHOTO IS PAUL ROPER AND TILLMAN NOWLIN.HOPEFULLY YOU WERE INQUIRING ABOUT MR. ROPER
PR

Eddie said...

PR,
She wasn't. Someone else was the last. When she asked if it was me I looked at the person (not me) and decided it wasn't very complementary, and removed it.

Anonymous said...

OH WELL,
PR

Anonymous said...

OH WELL,
PR

Anonymous said...

TELL THEM WHO PR IS.
PR

Eddie said...

PR,
Paul Revere?
Seriously, folks, PR is Paul Roper. He is the guy on the left of the last picture in this posting.