Sunday, September 06, 2009

SUNDAY FUNNIES - MAD #8 - The Long Stranger



click on panels to read balloons and see more what is going on.

I know you will know who this is a lampoon of – right? Sure you do. Everybody knows, and I think you are a trivia expert so I have no doubt you know. Everybody knows this is a lampoon on The Cisco Kid!

No, I kid you. Of course it is a lampoon of the Lone Ranger. The art is by Jack Davis and the story is by Harvey Kurtzman, who was editor of MAD comic book at the time.

I have read over and over about Kurtzman’s MAD comic book plan. He would build something up like blowing up a balloon….and stick a pin to the balloon causing it to suddenly pop and surprise people that wasn’t expecting such a sudden climatic bang.

The Lone Stranger is full of balloons blowing up and popping. On the first page you see the Lone Stranger firing away with his six shooters who is built up to your mind to believe his adversary is a vicious wildman and pop! It is only a tin can.

There are many more. Even at the end where he builds up the stanza that Tonto is going to same him at the last moment… and look, he must be right, there an Indian that looks like Tonto approaching. Pop!


5 comments:

Si's blog said...

Glad to get back to reading the Sunday funnies. Thanks for them.

Cisco kid! Had really forgot about him. But he was forgettable.

Trashing the Loan Arranger is one thing but Tonto, that is going too far. Squating Bull and his tribe will come and visit your women-folks.

Postino said...

Eddie, thanks for giving me a good laugh on a Sunday morning.

I first saw "The Lone Stranger" in THE MAD READER paperback book when I was nine years old. Along with "Superduperman" and "Starchie" it helped to warp my mind. It was a good thing. I've always been happy with the MAD gang for doing that to me.

Eddie said...

Si,
Oh Poncho!

El,
The MAD READER? You mean the Holy Grail?

Algol510 said...

Great to see these EC comics on line. A real treasure.
I'm new ... hope to find Crypt of Terror... SiFi... etc.

Eddie said...

in the bottom right search for EC comics and you should see some horror ECs.