Monday, December 26, 2005

KING KONG

We went to see the latest KING KONG movie. We thought it was great. It was fully packed with action, and it had a human side of kindness, gentleness, and protectiveness. Wait! That wasn't the human side, that was the beast's side.

Surprisingly, they pretty much stuck to the story line of the original KING KONG movie of the late 30s with Faye Wray. They got a few details different, but I think they got more right. And they did an excellent job with today's animation and computer trickery that you forget you are not watching a giant gorilla, and one that had very deep and profound feelings.

It also reminded me of MAD's takeoff of KING KONG was titled PINT PONG that was written by the editor Harvey Kurtzman and illustrated by Will Elder. And that got me thinking the publisher of Mad, the late William Gaines. William was a big King Kong and a big Empire State Building fan - well, he was just big, anyway.

I think that is the first movie that I have seen Jack Black act in. I think he is a good actor.

My only complaint is not with the movie but with the audience. One lady in front of us had a cell phone that she was taking pictures of the screen - that was distracting, and two women brought in two babies in strollers and a handful of kids under 6 years old. I was ready to let out a big "Shhhhhhh" - but not a peep out of the kids, and a baby cried only for a second or two but the mother somehow calmed him/her down. So, all's well that ends well.

No comments: