Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Explaining Myself


I read once that every action, no matter how big or small, causes a chain or reactions, such as:

A couple of people have  emailed me wanting to know if I was OK because no chicken-fat blog in past couple of days.
The bottom line is that life keeps getting in the way:
Sunday both of us had an interview with Global IS (whatever)  which I think is U.S. Customs.   I think this is what some travelers elect to do, it prevents being in a long lines at the airport;  it boils down to you have already proven you are not a flight risk so you get to avoid the long lines of being scrutinized at the airport  by the authorities.
Our appointment was at a Global office in an office park near the Atlanta Airport at 11:00.  In looking over the fine print it said do not be early and do not be late, or your interview may be delayed. 
Well shoot!  I arrive at appointments early.  That is what I do.  I do that in case of traffic problems,  car problems, or any other unpreventable problem.  We don't know how to be late.
Sunday we learned how to be late.
We gave ourselves one hour and fifteen minutes to get there.  When a mile from home I felt in my pockets did not feel my cell-phone.   I turned the car around and went back home to get it.  When home I felt it in my pocket.  I just didn't feel around good enough. 
Back on the road again, now we had one hour to get to our appointment.
The last few times we were going south on the i-75 the traffic was backed up in a stop and go mode.  This time we were lucky, traffic was speeding along rather nicely.
We got to our destination, in the office park at 10:45. 
There was a note on the door.  It said the computer was down and come to their office at the International Airport and gave us the address.
We hopped into our car and fled to the mentioned airport.  Went to an hourly parking, went into the huge building and found their office at 11:15.
The interview went fine.  They took our pictures and finger prints and the finger prints passed.
The only snarl was that they do not mail to PO Boxes.  Our little approval package will be sent to our street address, which then, would not be delivered because there is no mailbox.  Duh.
Then,  we dropped by to visit Sabrina,  Benjamin, and Rocky and had lunch with them.  Very enjoyable to see our grandson and his parents.
The first thing after the dog park Monday morning I went to the post office and told them my dilemma and wanted to know if they could tell my route carrier to be on the lookout and hand it off to the box section.
There were a bunch of "Ahs" and "Errs" but the bottom line was no.  My name and street number wasn't even on the carriers' case.
By the way, the reason we do not have a mailbox, because my drunk/high neighbor knocked it down four or five time while backing out of this driveway.  Each time he fixed or replaced it but it was a hassle I did not want to deal with.
But he is dead now.
I decided we needed a mailbox in our yard.
I went to Home Depot and bought a mailbox.
Then I went back to the post office and gave them my address on a sheet of paper and requested they add my name to the carrier's case, I said I was going home and put it up now.
It wasn't that easy to "put it up now".  The problem was it has to be 30 inches in the ground.  I could not dig any deeper than 12 inches then I ran into rock.  I tried digging and pounding it just couldn't go any deeper.  I was getting very sweaty, dizzy, and nauseas.  The last time I had that combination I had a stroke.
Therefore, I dropped the shovel and sat in the shade wishing for it to be finished.
Wishing doesn't work.
Anna looked up  a handy man company, on line, locally, and found a company with good reviews.
Today, I was on lookout for the mail person to drive by.  I planned to rush out, flag her down, and explain I had planned for someone to put up a mailbox today so please be on the lookout for letters for me.
Then, I took my mind and eyes off the street and the mail lady went by.  I ran out but before I could get into my truck she was turning on another road.  I  road down our street and turn on the street the mail vehicle  turned.  There it was three or four houses down.  She got out of her postal vehicle and ran up the street to the next mail box.  I parked behind her mail vehicle and watch her take the mail out of another box and carry it to the next box, and looking at what she put in.  Apparently she caught herself  being one address off, all the way down the street.  I don't know if she figured it out but I think I know what happened:  After I turned in my request to add my address to the carrier's case I think they did, without notifying the carrier.  Then, when she lined up the mail in order of delivery she placed mail as her memory remembered how it went.  So after my address she was one off  until she caught herself.
I introduced myself to her and told her I was her new addition, even though we have lived in the same house for over 40 years.  She looked puzzled.  I probably did not explain myself well.
And also  Two men came from the handy man service  and did an excellent  job and kept me entertained as they did so.   They were full of down-to-earth wit. 

I can find a silver lining in any thing.


Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counter script