Saturday, April 24, 2010

1st Concert of the 2010 Season


Last night was the first concert of the season, presented by the City of Marietta. The concerts are held the last Friday of the warm months. Bring something to sit on unless you are willing to rent a table.

The band was a group of elderly men who played big band, sort of, type of music. However, they had a lady singer that added spunk where it was needed.

The background music of this video is not the band playing. It is a generic tune that was included in my FLIP camcorder. If I chose instead to use the band's music there would be distracting roars and squeals from the people.

If you have a keen critical eye and mind you might notice that the movie title said it is April the 24. WRONG! The date of the movie is April the 23rd. I made a mistake, can you believe that?

If I was a professional or a perfectionist I would go back and correct that, which would be 2 hours of downloading again to my computer and another 2 hours uploading it to youtube. So, the heck with it, I don't get paid that much.

5 comments:

Deborah Wilson said...

It looks like everybody was enjoying themselves - but I bet quiet a few felt uncomfortable this year with not being able to get up close and/or walk around the park with a cigarette hanging out of their mouths! lol What is it, a $200 fine if you get caught smoking in the park? I bet the sidewalks were 'hazey'.

"It's always something!"
~Gilda Radner

I'm glad you posted this, it reminded me to take a chair tomorrow...

G said...

No smoking in the park ... is that something new? The video and music left me weepy-eyed. How I would love to move back to Marietta.

Eddie, you've turned into a real pro.

It's Sunday, 2:30 A.M. there, and I can hardly wait for the Varners video!

Eddie said...

Deborah,
Bring a chair tomorrow? Which by the time I read this tomorrow is today. What kind of concert is today.

G & Deborah,

I forgot about the non-smoking ordinance. If I remembered I might have sort of watched for that, but I don't think I saw anyone smoking. However, I did see one lonely policeman making his way though a crowd of people for no apparent reason. Maybe he saw a puff of smoke.

In the Varner's Reunion video which I am working on, I noticed the Townsend brothers stepped outside and smoked. Where at? Next to the "no smoking sign".

Bhob said...

What;s the history of the Strand Theater?

Eddie said...

Bhob,
Here is a very brief history of The Strand Theater: It was on the South Park Square in the 1930s. In 1939 just about a whole block of the North Park Square was flattened in an explosion, probably a LP leak. In its place was built The Strand Theater, which had all the glitter of the grand theaters and an organ, chandeliers in the lobby and so on. In the early 70s, because of urban decay, hard to find a parking place, and theaters out in the suburbs, The Strand closed. In its place was a church with tambourines and a charismatic preacher. Then after they moved it became a hangout of the pre-teen wannabe hippies. After that I think a few other endeavors were experimented with until local businessman and politician started a rebirth of The Strand movement. Now, The Strand is back in business, glittering again, but this time it plays more live productions than movies, and usually the movies are movies for old movie lovers, like Turner Classics show.
By the way, thanks to Joan Woodward and Paul Newman the urban decay has reversed itself. They donated a big portion of the money used to make the old little town Marietta to look like the little old town like Main Street USA.