Monday, August 04, 2008

You Can Fool Some of the People



You can fool all the people some of the time and you can fool some of the people all the time.
- Abe Lincoln said that and it still applies.

I think I been doing some fooling, just as stated above, but then after three years of blogging I have been figured out. The people finally got my number. They figured out there is nothing to me; no substance; No fooling.

For six or eight months now my faithful counter has told me, to my standards, I have had a lot a lot of visitors every day. As I mentioned before what pleased me more than the high numbers was the percentage of revisits and people who spent more than five minutes reading my stuff. Both were running between 40 and 25% daily.

Then Friday something went wrong. I had a big drop in visitors and a big drop in the percentage of revisits and long readings (under 10%).

I had so few visitors I could have invited all them to come and visit me here at our small home. However, if they brought their spouses, children, and grandchildren some people would probably have to stand.

It must have been something I said.

Or something I didn’t say… maybe it was just plain bo-ring.

I thought I might have to look at some cutbacks; cut the labor force of my very dedicated staff.

Then, the next day a wonderful thing happened. I had an increase of ten visitors. I emailed HR and told them to hold on the lay-offs!

And today, the attendance is back in full force, like it was three days ago!

We will survive by not panicking.

5 comments:

kenju said...

Oh, yeah, don't panic - whatever else happens!! LOL

I see downdips in my stats too. I think it is seasonal, Eddie. Fewer people in the summer.

Eddie said...

Judy,
This is kind of like the stock market. a downdip then an upswing.

Suzanne Reisman said...

It is vacation time, so I think a lot of readers were away on Friday.

Deborah Wilson said...

Yeah, I think it's seasonal too - people like to get out of the house when the weather is warm. And others, like me, just like to disappear for a week or two...:)

Lincoln didn't fool me.

Eddie said...

Suzanne & Deborah,

Yep, in Georgia, a lot of districts go back to school next week - trying to squeeze in one more vacation.