Monday, March 31, 2008

The Fox Theater old postcards



This is the Fabulous Fox Theater on Peachtree Street. It is partly grand and shiny because it is the Fox Theater and partly because it was also the Shrine Mosque for Atlanta.

Through the years we have been to movies, concerts, and plays there and was always impressed with its enormity and grandiose…. The popcorn wasn’t bad either.

If BellSouth had their way about 20 or so years ago, it would be a parking lot for their employees who worked in the BellSouth Tower. They bought the building and property and just about had the wrecking balls in place and…..

The public outcry was louder than they had counted on.

The Fox lives.

5 comments:

kenju said...

I saw the Fox Theater back in the 80's and it would be a terrible shame if it had been torn down!!

Anonymous said...

We haven’t been there yet…I must admit…but we are always hearing about the shows etc that go on down there. Gas is a bit pricey these days for us to make a 150 round trip.

Eddie said...

Judy,
You are right! It came this close (me holding up my thumb and forefinger, almost pinching).

Steve,
$150 for a round trip? Darn that is expensive! Where are Greyhound Buses these days?

Jean Campbell said...

Remember when the Opera used to be presented at the Fox? I never attended, but once mingled with the crowd outside.

I was barely 18. A friend and I walked down the street followed by a little duck that followed us from the park....

Eddie said...

Jean,
I remember that an opera played there. We didn't go, it would have been a waste of a good seat, as far as I am concerned. However, we did carry the kids to see "Jesus Christ Super Star" there. And we also saw "Hair"
there.
(tell me I'm not a poet)
Before we were married we went to the old Civic Auditorium to see the Opera "Rigolotta"(?), which I think is an Italian opera - it was pretty good - but I had to read the program to know the story outline.
A duck followed you into the park? That is rich - somehow it reminds me of a Marx Brothers moive.