Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Mabry Mill on the Blue Ridge Parkway postcard



On the back:
Mabry Mill, a water-powered grist mill from the pioneer past, is still in operation. Old-fashion apple butter and sorghum molasses are made here on autumn weekend. There is also a working blacksmith shop as well as log cabins, farm buildings and a church. A self-guiding trail leads you through this region rich in folk history.


I don’t remember if this place is on the Blue Ridge Parkway in Georgia or North Carolina and the card doesn’t say. How can they expect us to self-guide ourselves around there if we can’t self-guide ourselves to find it without them telling us where it is located?

Their response might be, "Well, how did you find us when you bought the postcard?"

A nice rural countryside picture.

6 comments:

Deborah Wilson said...

That strange, most post cards have at least the city and state. But Mabry Hill is in Virginny - I googled it. hahe
I love applebutter, my ex-mother-in-law made it homemade out of Wine Sap apples, IMO it was the best in the south. I wish I had her recipe (maybe if I'm sweet, I can get it..:)) Now I'm hungry.

Eddie said...

Deborah,
I forgot about Virginny! Somehow I when I think of the Blue Ridge I overlook 'Ginny. But, I can't take Blue Ridge away from them, it is thar's too.

My daddy used to lover apple butter. I used to love sorghum syrup with butter and biscuits. Remember, there is only one Sorghum Fest - in Blairsville, Union County, Ga., the home of my ancestor John Hunter.

Deborah Wilson said...

When the Sorgum Fest comes up, if you don't mind, post it on your blog to remind everyone. Last year I didn't do so well keeping up with the fests in Ga - even though the link was on my blog!

Eddie said...

Deborah,
Ok.
I subscribe to the Union Sentinel, a weekly newspaper there, for the obituaries. They will be pushing the Sorghum Fest near the time.

Carolyn said...

Hmmm.... they might have a self guided point there! But Doborah has pointed you in the right direction.

I love old mills like that and wish more were still in operation. I love sorghum too. Not too many folks around here make it anymore. All the cane fields are condos now.

P.S. Yer comment on my blog this mornin made me spew my coffee ;D

Eddie said...

Carolyn,
In Cleveland, Georgia, we usually visit a couple, we know once or twice a year. The subdivision they live in is beautiful with high hills and small mountains. Each lot, I think has a minimum of 5 acres but usually more.
In the neighborhood is an authentic mill. With a man-made waterfall that turns the mill and all. It used to be for real, to make meal - now it is where they hold the neighbor association meeting and also serves as a clubhouse for parties.

The general public probably doesn't even know the mill is there.

In a way, that is sad.