Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Another Old Friend


Today I had a pleasant surprise.

An old high school friend Horace called. He had been reading my blog and wanted to throw in his 2¢ about this and that.

One of the things Horace wanted to tell me was he stayed near the Holiday Inn in Fort Lauderdale and knew the area pretty good. He also wanted to genteelly correct me on the statement I made on that post about Connie Frances making a statement is now politically incorrect and also I said she was hawking orange juice.

He also told me the name of the feed store next to Hunter’s Barber Shop was Reeves’ Feed Store.

I went back and corrected those posts. Now, newcomers will never know that I made the blunder…. That is, unless they read this post.

Who is that I am thinking of? Could it be Arlene Francis?

At a friend’s funeral we spoke briefly and I think that is the only contact we have had in the past 45 years. Unless he was at the Bell Boys Reunion, after seeing so many old friends, everybody just blended in.

Horace gave me a brief outline over the phone of his life for the past 43 years. He lived a fascinating life. He worked at a profession that took him to New York City, various points of Florida, Chicago, California, and I forgot where else. Oh yes, here in Marietta.

Now he has come home to roost, so to speak.

Compared to his life, I lead sort of a Lum and Abner kind of existence. Well, some one had to stay and mind the store.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey "rock"

does the name Anita Bryant mean anything to you? she did oj commercials for the Florida Citrus Growers Association.

Gotcha

H.

Eddie said...

H,
I'm glad you got through!
Anita Bryant! That is right.
Her and Connie Frances had similar features - dark hair for one.

Anonymous said...

Arlene Francis was on that B&W game show,"What's My Line"

Eddie said...

A,
When I hear Arlene Francis I expect it to be hearing it in Bill Cullins' voice and the next name I expect to hear is Kitty Carlile.