Wednesday, March 05, 2008

The Hermitage postcard




The Hermitage, just outside Nashville, Tennessee, was the home of President Andrew Jackson, a.k.a. “Old Hickory”. We visited the Hermitage when the boys were young.

Andrew Jackson served two terms as president. Sometimes he settled his differences by dueling. He must have been pretty good at that. I don’t think I would have wanted to run against him and have to debate him. It wouldn’t be much of a debate, I would agree with everything he said.

He married a married (technically) woman. Somebody, I forgot who, made a comment about he and his wife living in sin. That was the wrong crack to make about a good marksman who enjoys a good duel.

Andrew Jackson was also a good race horse owner. He had his horses on one-on-one racing all over Tennessee and North Carolina.

He also was responsible for “The Trail of Tears” – the Indian Removal from the Southern States to Oklahoma. The Supreme Court ruled it was unconstitutional and Old Hickory said something like, “If John Marshall (Chief Justice) ruled it unconstitutional, let John Marshall enforce it.” And then he probably gave the evil villain laugh “Ha ha ha hah ha ha!”

Here are some of of my claims to fame: Chief Justice John Marshall’s sister, Hannah Elizabeth Marshall married my 1st cousin, 6 times removed, Zachariah Petty. Another Petty relative, Timothy Dodson, my 1st cousin 4 times removed, lived next to the Hermitage and was a pallbearer at Old Hickory’s funeral.

Wow! That means I am somebody!

2 comments:

Deborah Wilson said...

I like that house! I was wondering what it might look like inside, I found the website:
The Hermitage

Eddie said...

Deborah,
Neat! I think I read someplace that it was originally a cabin.