Monday, March 10, 2008

Beatrice Elizabeth Hunter Crain (1903-1971)



Here is my aunt Bee, my father’s only sister. Her real name Beatrice Elizabeth but to some of younger brothers Beatrice was a mouth full – her nickname was “Bee”.

As you can see, Bee was a very stylish lady. The above pictures were probably taken when she worked for Southern Bell. I am pretty sure she is the on the right of the vehicle picture. See the fir coat draped over the door of the car? I assume it is the same coat in the other picture.

Bee married a local businessman, Spencer Crain who owned several local businesses, a car lot, bonding company, rental, and probably more. Bee gave birth to five children and they lived in big house with a big yard. It was big enough to have family reunions and wakes there.

I remember my grandmother lying in her casket in their living room. My grandfather died a couple of years later and I don’t remember a wake for him in the Crains’ house, but I think there probably was.

Bee had a maid. She was motherly lady. I forgot her name, I think it was something like Hattie. Many years later when at the Marietta Post Office I worked with a guy named Sam. One day we were talking and we both realized out what a small town Marietta was back then. His mother was Bee’s maid.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous j3 said...

ET,
wow, I'd never seen a picture of a young Bee. The only ones I have are post-wwII. I know that Granddaddy (Stanley) was real close to Bee, even listing her as his next of kin for the Army. I always got the impression that she was a second mom for the family.

j3

5:18 AM  
Blogger ET said...

J3,
I think that is about right. I think she was sort of second in command, with Frank P. being 10th in command.

For a while after WWII she took care of W.C. - but that was a bit too much to handle.

5:52 AM  
Anonymous Johnny said...

Eddie,
There was a wake at Bee's for our Grandfather. I remember it because it was the first dead person I had ever seen. I must have been 4 or 5.
Aunt Bee's maid name, as I remember, was Sarah. Sarah also kept me when my mother went to work. She also worked full time a the Downtown Marietta Cafe next to the old court house. She made the best biscuits in the world.

6:01 AM  
Blogger ET said...

Johnny,
Sarah eh?
I think I have her name confused with the maid my aunt on my mother's side who lived not far from your stomping grounds along Stewart Avenue and Talcott (?) Cir.

6:10 AM  
Blogger deborah wilson said...

Around what year was these photos taken, Eddie? Looking at the hair, I would guess 1920's or early 1930's. I love the 20's style! But looking at her dress, I would guess...1950's?

7:46 AM  
Blogger ET said...

Deborah,
She was born in 1903, and she was got married in November 26, 1931. I bet it was before she was married. I would guesstomate mid-twenties, as in "Roaring 20".

7:54 AM  
Anonymous j3 said...

ET,

From everything I know, WC was a handful - I have heard too many stories from Johnny over the years about his exploits. He definitely made the other Hunter Boys look tame by comparison.

j3

10:30 AM  
Blogger ET said...

J3,
Yeah, I think by comparison the other Hunter brothers were angels.
And, evidently he had something for er- youth.

Did you see on this blog about WC, me, Monty, and our Keller Woods adventure?

11:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counter script