Thursday, March 29, 2007

Walk a Mile in his shoes


“You need to walk a mile in his shoes before you can pass judgment of a person”, so says somebody. I ran a Google search and there are several thoughts on who originated that thought and it seems nobody really knows. I’ll credit it will Joe South since I know he wrote a song with those words – wait! Maybe his song was “Walk a mile in MY shoes..” Anyway…

The idea of it all is a nice parable insinuating you shouldn’t be too harsh on somebody that you haven’t lived life through their eyes and their brains…. So, naturally, you don’t see things in they perspective as they would.

HOWEVER! Isn’t insisting walking a mile in their shoes a bit much before you can scorn them? What if a person is a very greedy unscrupulous businessman or serial killer or a mass murderer? Huh?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, every major religion as "judge not lest ye be judged" as a major foundation. So, I think there is plenty of wisdom in that. Sometimes I get carried away at my blog on that sort of thing.

I think the old saying is an axiom, and not a cliche'.

Eddie said...

Steve,
An axiom?
Back to the dictionary.