Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Ed and Mama




1987.  Ed West and my mother Janie Petty Hunter at her 50th Wedding Anniversary Celebration.   Ed  is a friend since he was 16 years old.  I estimate the age 16 because he was one of the few of us that was old enough to drive.
Ed and Mama liked to play jokes on each other on the phone.  One would call the other pretending it was a business call and if the other one took it seriously, well, the joke was on them.  Either one of them  gave it away more times than not, by giggling.

When Ed was in the Army stationed in Germany, his father was in a bad accident.  He came home on emergency leave.  While he was home I got him a date with my co-worker Sue.  We double-dated.  They hit it off.

After marriage and two kids later they both called me to remind me I was the one responsible for them getting married.  I was ready to say, "Aw shucks, you are welcome."
They did not call me to thank me for being responsible for their happiness, they both were on the line, they called to scold me for being responsible for their unhappiness.

They got a divorce.


Oh well.

No comments: