Friday, April 08, 2016

Dick and Jeannette Hunter





My uncle and aunt, Dick (1923-1982)  and Jeannette  Quintal Hunter.  The picture was taken about 1978 at a Hunter Reunion, when I was building a foundation , or base, of my roots, in family research.  Dick joined the Navy   and  served in WWIII.  Once his brother W.C. was recuperating  from a head wound in North Africa. and sitting outside a Red Cross facility and a group of sailors came by who just came ashore.  W.C. turned to a friend, also a patient, and said something like, "See that guy there?  He looks just like my youngest brother Dick."   And it was.
Dick was/is the youngest of eight siblings.  While he was in the Navy, stationed at Boston he met Jeannette and they courted and married.  They had thirteen children.   Twelve lived well into adulthood.  One died at birth.
Dick was a planner at Lockheed and Jeannette started her own successful  real estate business (Hunter Realty).  As a kid I used to be amazed at the enormity of running a  household of fourteen eaters.  They bought a big freezer and bought in large qualities cheaper.
He got into local politics, first councilman then Mayor of Marietta.  Later he was a State of Georgia inspector and he also built houses.
As far as I know he always seemed to be smiling.  I cannot imagine him frowning.  He had a positive drive.  Failure wasn't an option.

He lived fifty-nine years.  Jeannette will be 90 this summer.  A couple of years ago I sat behind Jeannette at a funeral, Bobby Crain, a cousin, asked Jeannette the number of one of her sons in the contracting business, she instantly told him. Then he asked the number of another one of her sons, also in the contracting business and she instantly told him. I can't do that instant recall with my own two sons' numbers.

No comments: