Friday, July 01, 2011

a Burping Smoked Meat Thursday


Yesterday in the Marietta Daily Journal was an article about Big Shanty Smokehouse in Kennesaw. We went there a few years ago, right after they opened in 2008 but just about forgot the taste – we went back. The sampler platter in the article looked so good! That is what I ordered. It was piled with smoked ribs, a few slabs of briskets, and some pulled pork. I thought it was very good - and stuffing. It all had the rare smoked meat taste. Big Shanty Smokehouse is on Cherokee Street in Kennesaw in what used to be a small dwelling (compared to today’s dwellings).

Later we were in a store and I burped what tasted like smoked meat. I think if I practiced I could have blown smoke rings.

That evening on GPBTV channel 8 there was a special on Margaret Mitchell. It was very well done, telling a lot about Margaret Mitchell I didn’t know. Parts of it was filmed in Marietta. One of the places was the Trammell House, owned by Rachel Frey and her husband Doug.* Rachel portrayed Margaret in several scenes when she was writing or typing. It was a good show! I believe it will be on again tonight and several repeating times on GPTV.


*We are currently reading the book MARIETTA THE GEM CITY OF GEORGIA by Doug Frey which is about the grand old houses of Marietta and the history of the owners.