Sunday, July 03, 2011

Old Mariettia (OM) No Longer Among Us



This is the late Eddie Sullivan taken at the Bell Reunion in September 2006. Eddie and I were kids who played together in the Clay Homes. Eddie was a few years older so we ran in different crowds. However, Eddie and I (also named Eddie) shared the same birth month. For a few years Eddie’s family and my family would have a birthday picnic every year.

The only Hunter-Sullivan Birthday picnic I remember was at Sweet Water Creek near Austell and Powder Springs. There was a bridge and to the right was a dirt road going down the slope of a red-mud bank into the water. On the other side of the creek the road left the water and went back up the slope. I suppose at one time there was a bridge that had to be replaced, which was overlooking us. We used the dirt road as a beach. I was playing in knee deep or maybe waist deep water to me when suddenly I stepped into nothing. It must have been the edge of the creek at one time.

Swoosh! I went under water and a current grabbed me and down I went. I was only about 4 or 5 years old. Daddy and Eddie’s brother Dickie jumped in and rescued me.

The Sullivan family did the concessions at Larry Bell Park.

Eddie died near the end of June in 2008