Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The Invisible Man Strikes the GOBAG



My old friend El Postino of the blog Insomnia Notebook was talking yesterday about me claiming to be invisible. I am!

A conversation at the last GOBAG meeting I attended went something like this:

(a group of us talking).

Rick: What is the name of that lake up in north Georgia, near Chatsworth?

Me: Carters’ Lake.

Rick: It is just off Highway 411 near Chatsworth.

Me: Carter’s Lake, it is south of Chatsworth.

Rick: What is the name of that Lake? It is on the tip of my tongue.

Me: Carter’s Lake.

Rick: I can see it and I should know the name of it – what is it?

Somebody else: Carter’s Lake.

Rick: Hey! That is right! Carter’s Lake!

Several other people: Rock has been saying Carter’s Lake, standing right beside you!

Rick: (befuddled).

That is OK, I enjoy being ignored.

4 comments:

Sushiboofay said...

LOL! I can soooo relate! For me - it is usually MY ideas that get ignored and then someone else mentions the same idea and they are thought to be a 'god'. Oy!

Eddie said...

Sushi,
Does that irritate you? I must admit that the idea the person in the back of his or her mind feel that I am not worthy enough for them to consider me irritates me. But the fact that I can be totally invisible to them is sort of nice.

Anonymous said...

At our age, deafness is more likely than purposely ignoring someone. Some hearing aids block off sounds from the back when they detect high noise areas. It's helpful in restaurants. Huh, what?

Mike D

Eddie said...

Mike,
Since the person right beside me said the exact two words I don't buy the deafness explanation.
But I do buy a "selective hearing" theory. I been down this road many times.