Sunday, December 16, 2007

Sunday Morning Pulpit



The Joy of Getting.

My sister is a charitable person. She has always belonged to organizations that helped the needy.

This year she has a “want” list of a particular needy child. She is to pick and choose what she wants to get this child so he or she can open it Christmas morning.

At the top of the as top priority the child picked some kind of hand-held electronic gizmo like a Play Station. This item is very expensive and something the benefactor would never consider for herself.

Christmas is a time for giving. But by default it is also a time for getting. For every gift given, somebody has the obligation of receiving – or as the old worn-out joke states, “Somebody has to do it.”

Think of receiving a gift as a public service.

6 comments:

kenju said...

I do, I do! That pic up there scares me to death. I would hate to face him in the pulpit!

Eddie said...

Judy,
With a hateful look like that, he is bound to have a following that wouldn't dare become stray sheep.

Suzanne said...

My motto: No good deed goes unpunished. One of my mentors taught that to me when we worked in government and tried to improve some government programs to serve more people, only to face enormous amounts of bellyaching. The motto has since served me well.

Eddie said...

Suzanne,
That's right! I know that motto well and I too have had a few mishaps after doing a good deed.

Suzanne said...

It doesn't stop either of us from doing a good deed, though, which I appreciate. :)

Eddie said...

Suzanne,
I agree, we keep on asking for more!