Monday, December 17, 2007

Dickie Thomas

I received a mass-sent email from a high school classmate saying that another one of us has died. Dickie Thomas had several illnesses that he had been fighting for the past several years the letter email said.

I have not seen Dickie since high school but I remember he was a very nice person. During the time I knew him I don’t think he thought any harm on anybody.

I remember once in the ‘50s he bought a red Impala. It looked sharp, well, it was sharp. He one time drove it up to Victoria Landing at Allatoona where the houseboat was docked. I don’t remember the details but for some reason he and some more friends left and were to return shortly.

He parked his red car in front of a slope hill that ran down into the lake.

We were talking and we heard a big SPLASH!! We looked around and there it was sitting on top of the water – for a second. Then it sunk head first. Only the back bumper was still above water.

A wrecker pulled it out and the mishap even made the newspaper, but I don’t remember what happened after that. I hope that was Dickie’s bad luck thing to have happened – and after he got that out of the way, by the law of averages, he was in line for years of good luck.

The bad-news email told me Dickie was one of the coaches that took the East Cobb Little League team and won the Little League World Series in 1983.

Rest in peace.

2 comments:

cbish68 said...

Eddie,

Do you recognize him in the 1983 team photo on this page?

http://www.emnll.org/History.aspx

They have a coach identified as Thomas Dickie, not Dickie Thomas.

Either way, he sounds like he was a good man. RIP.

Eddie said...

Chris,
I couldn't tell one way or the other.
I think the print must be wrong because the person that sent it to me went to his "celebration of life" thing the other night and I think that is where he came up with that tidbit.