Monday, December 31, 2007

Countdown Time!


It is countdown time! In just a short time the big Ball will fall in Times Square. And, in Atlanta the big Peach will fall. And the New Year will be thrust on us.

We will celebrate at a neighborhood party. I always find a seat at the kitchen table near the ribs. We will probably talk and gossip about the neighbors who are not there and at midnight, give each other kisses and hugs and go home and tell Willow about all the ribs she missed.

And thus 2007 will be closed. File it, sort the taxable and deductibles and move on to 2008.

Since last year, the hosts have made friends with a guy with a MS disease or something similar who worked out daily to be in the Special Olympics. The hosts, a camera man, and the guy, and their granddaughter went to Greece a month or so ago to participate in the Special Olympics and I understand that the guy won a medal of some distinction. I think they will have some interesting stories to tell about their experiences there.

On New Years Day we traditionally eat black-eyed peas, greens, hog jowl (which we substitute pork chops), and cornbread. I like my New Years meal a little spicier than Anna, so I will sprinkle Cajun spices, hot sauce, and chopped onions on the food in my plate. I think the greens represent money (look! – I am rubbing my thumb and forefinger together, which represents greed and money). And I forgot what the black-eyed peas and pork represents, hopefully health or at least a more slimy way of getting money and prosperity without so much work.

A lot of football will be played on TV the first day of the year. I doubt if we will hardly notice the football games. We rented a movie, so we will probably watch a movie and maybe rent another one.

Another thing I hope to do is to weigh and start a diet, like I do every first day of the year. It lasts most of the year, then my tummy yearns for something yummy.

I also hope to increase my exercise (again) – ride my bike more and maybe attempt to start running again….maybe… we’ll see.

I hope everybody (both of you) who read my blog have a very happy, healthy, and prosperous New Year.

Cheers!

2 comments:

Deborah Wilson said...

Eddie,

The black-eyed peas represent lots of coins and good luck. I'm not sure about the pork either..:)

Wishing you and yours a Happy New Year!

(I have a fantastic video of "Auld Lang Syne" on my blog, you guys check it out when you get time.)

Eddie said...

Deborah,
I think I ate too many black-eyed peas and not enough greens. We keep filling up a huge jar full of coins, which, when nothing else to do, I make coin rolls from it.

Thank you for telling about the very haunting (lack of a better word)of "Auld Lang Syne" - it was great!

Happy New Year to you and yours also.