Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Ike Died.



In July of 1965*, my friends Monty and Johnny, and I went to Atlanta to the Royal Peacock Nightclub. There was a musical group there Monty was worked up about and wanted to see. The name of the group was a husband and wife was “Ike and Tina Turner”.

“Oh yeah!” I heard of them before. They had a song on the top 40 radio music.

The Royal Peacock was a predominantly black nightclub. That night, we were the only white people there. They did not sell alcoholic drinks. They sold set-ups, and ice.

Ike and Tina Turner put on one of the most rocking fast paced rock and roll live shows I have ever seen. Tina and her three female back-up singers, “The Iketts” put on a very good show – all four women were darn right sexy in their sensual movements with the music and all.

And I’m sure to the opposite sex, Ike was also very sexy. He strummed an electric guitar and made the guitar make noises I didn’t know a guitar could make. I remember, what seemed to be trademark that night, was flicking out his long tongue with the whams of the guitar strings. It could almost be rated obscene by the standards of the times then.

Ike died today at age 76.

From celebrity gossip through the years I understand that Ike and Tina divorced and Ike had a drug problem.

I don’t know about that, but he sure could play an electric guitar.

Big Wheel Keep On Rolling….rolling,… rolling….rol…


* I remember in was July 1965 because it was within two weeks after I got out of the Navy from serving my active duty obligation.

5 comments:

kenju said...

I never thought Ike was sexy, but he might have appealed to some women.

Eddie said...

Judy,
All his sexy moments is with his tongue keep rhythm with the music. 'Nuff said.

Eddie said...

Wait! I had better clarify that last comment: I was judging how sexy Ike's tongue by the "oooh's" and "ahhs" of the lady folks in the audience.

Suzanne said...

Sure you were, Eddie...

Eddie said...

Suzanne,
Whoa!
I have a very masculine image I am trying to project.