Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Gravity and Willow


Yesterday evening one of fears materialized. We have a deck which is probably about ten feet high from the edge to bottom step. Since Willow moved in with us and observing that she enjoys a good squirrel chase – well, she just can’t help herself – Mother Nature built a little mechanism that gives her a surge of her hunting instinct every time she sees a squirrel. Acorns fall onto our deck from an oak tree, so the squirrels help themselves to them. I have been afraid that one day she would chase a squirrel right off the deck at its highest point instead of doing the sensible thing and run down the steps.

Yesterday I went out to light the grill to cook our evening meal. Willow went me. There sat a squirrel peacefully nibbling. The squirrel instantly realized the danger it was in and leap off the deck – which is okay for a squirrel – they are little acrobats,

Willow chased right after her, off the edge she went also.

Damn! I thought.

Then I heard Willow hit the bottom – but she landed running, not missing a beat, and almost snagged Nutsy the Squirrel just before he leaped our chain link fence. I expected Willow would have a broken leg but she was in pursuit so intently, who has time to break their leg?

She is fine, you would never know she fell that far – I’m not sure she is even aware she did.

2 comments:

kenju said...

I had a dog that did the same thing, only our deck is only 5 feet off the ground. The dog was only about 10" tall herself, so I was surprised that she didn't break her leg. I guess they are more resiliant than we give them credit for.

Eddie said...

Judy,
I think they are made of hard rubber.