Saturday, December 15, 2007

Homemade Biltmore Joke


I just made up a Biltmore House joke:

George W. Vanderbilt who had the Biltmore House built and his wife Edith Stuyvesant Dresser had only one child, a daughter named Cornelia Stuyvesant Vanderbilt who was born in the Biltmore House and grew up in the house, more or less.

Cornelia married John Francis Amherst Cecil.. They had two sons, who were also born in the Biltmore House.

Once, when the sons were young Cornelia was told them, “When I was your age when I got up to go to school I had to walk one mile, and that was just to get out of the house.”

5 comments:

kenju said...

LOL....that one would be true!

Eddie said...

Judy,
And she had to go 5 miles to the nearest school,which was next door to her yard.

Anonymous said...

My fathers favorite how difficult it was to go to school line was "it was five miles, up hill, both ways".

Eddie said...

Reuben,
Yep - sounds like my father's humor.

Are you having Christmas dinner at the Bourbon Street Restaurant in Bangkok this year?

Suzanne said...

That's a good one.