Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Zoom, Zoom

This morning I was walking Willow as I do all mornings. I try to get her at least 30 to 45 minutes daily, and sometimes go that extra mile (literally). This morning was one where we were going for 60 minutes. We just talked to the traffic guard in front of a grammar school. Her son and our sons were in the Weebelos Cub Scouts together. She, holding her Stop sign, walked Willow and me across the Ebenezer Road at the corner of Beaverhsop Road.

I was carrying a sack of dog shit with me which she had let go of less than 10 minutes ago. On Beavershop Road we went over the rise of hill and were on our way down the slope on the other side when suddenly her pronged chain training collar just fell off. I was holding a leash with an empty collar. As soon as I noticed it so did Willow. She took off running.

And she is a very fast runner. Her breed, as far as racing and speed go, is up there with greyhounds.

I know from experience not to let her know you are trying to get a hold of her. If she senses that, she thinks it is a game and plays “keep away” from you. I didn’t know what to do.

She ran around and around me, maybe at no shorter than 20 feet from me. I sat down on the side walk thinking that would be the most tempting for her to come up and get a petting… also, if I reached for her while she was standing she is more likely to jump back.

On each of her circumference runs around me the far end of the loop crossed Beavershop Road, which she crossed it twice on each lap. Luckily Beaverhshop Road is not a very busy road. Only a couple of cars came by when she was putting on her show and slowed down for her.

My plan worked. She finally saw I was not going to play and she came back and I grabbed her by the collar in a gentle way without scolding her. I petted her, thanking her for coming back.

I hooked the leash to her other collar and carried her home. Then, I put her into the truck and we went to the dog park near by. She ran and played chase with other dogs to her heart’s content. Finally, she came up to me like saying, “I’m tired, I wanna go home and lie down – can we go now?”

3 comments:

kenju said...

Edie, I think that Willow is the perfect companion for you!

Anonymous said...

I dont write about my own dog too much at my blog, but I have one too. Man, I get scared when she pulls one of those little stunts. Those are the times when i get panicky.

Once , back when we lived in NC, she got off the leash all day and was outside. We lost her for a whole day. We found her laying calmly by a store not far from 441.

We are lucky she is a smart dog.

Eddie said...

Judy,
I agree, she is, as long as she doesn't get ran over.

Steve,
Well, she is lucky to have smart masters too.