Saturday, September 15, 2007

And Again, Maybe Not!



I am back, for what ever good that is. I doubt if me being back will cause any ocean tides to shift or anything – but here I am anyway.

I’m here with sore joints, muscles, and bones from lifting things and toting them.

We are not through. Putting everything back will take days. Rocky is coming this morning to help us. Adam has to work this weekend 12 hour days.

Of course the first things that went back into place were the two computers. When I dismounted them I labeled each wire to where it would go back. At the time I was labeling what I wrote down made sense but looking at it later, late last night, some of my notes on the labels made no sense at all. But somehow, I finally got almost everything hooked up, except my speakers. I didn’t even leave label a good hint on that one.

And instead of jumping in my computer and making a blog postings I jumped right in trying to hook another important item – the TV with all its bells and whistles. I did the same clever system of labeling all connections that was plugged in the TV, VCR, DVD, TiVo, and Comcast cable box – and again, at the time I was labeling what I put down made sense – and sometimes even illustrated the hole – but later, when I was tired, some of it made no sense. I will look get back onto that this morning.

Speaking of labeling, Anna was saying she was going to put stickums on some of the rolling furniture that would say “rollers may off” and on one roll-desktop “bad leg” and I asked could she write that in Spanish too. I was right. Four Mexicans came to do the job.

None of the Latinos could speak English… so, there were some lack of communications – but not too bad, which some of that I credit my excellent pantomime talents. I don’t know if I got my message across but I did make them laugh.

They were hard workers. They worked without any type of break (even bathroom break) for over six hours. And they were very courteous and polite, almost Uncle Tom like.

The youngest one, probably about 22 or 23, did not start off that way. At first he was non-smiling but he finally changed his attitude towards me. I have walls in my office with framed MAD comicbook covers and other illustrations – mostly signed by the cartoonists. The young man was completely awed by these frame pictures.

The carpet looks nice. Willow didn’t bark at all. Which is good – or is it bad? Four strange men walking around doing things to the house? I thought her job as the official sentry would bark out a “Halt”! until she could check out their work orders or something.

4 comments:

kenju said...

Welcome back, Eddie. I didn't know you were gone, since I've been so busy. Can you forgive me?

Eddie said...

Judy,
I know you have been very busy. I have really been feeling for you from what you are having to go through - and taking notes.

Anonymous said...

Glad you are back in the...uh..."unreal world."

That Normal Rockwell thing from the other day was great!

Eddie said...

Steve,
Thanks!
I saw your kind words on your blog but I couldn't think of anything worthwhile response except something like "Aww Shucks".