Thursday, September 27, 2007

The Joy of Watching TV


(above: Benny & "The Seasick Sea Serpent" c-early 1950s)


I think next week is something like “The Joy of Reading Week” or something. I think the television industry ought to demand equal time by having a “The Joy of Watching TV Week”.

This morning on the local TV news were three people behind the desk, the two anchor people and the weatherman. An anchor person told a news bit about the new TV show “Cave Men” (or “Cave Man”, whatever) changing their shooting location from Atlanta to L.A. They said the story is suppose to take place in Los Angeles and there is no way they could make the Atlanta buildings as a backdrop resemble the buildings in L.A.

Then the weatherman chimed in and said, “Atlanta may not look like L.A. but lately it definitely looks like San Diego.” Think about it. Neither of the two anchor people showed any type of expression or made any kind of witty come-back like they usually do.

That didn’t bother the producers of the lawyer/detective series staring Andy Griffin. I think the name of it was “Mattlock” but I could be wrong. It was suppose to be in Atlanta and the surrounding area. More than once when Andy was out of town riding in the country side you could see bare rocky mountains in the background. With the exception of Stone Mountain, all the mountain and hills around here are covered with trees.

Tonight I will be in front of the TV. My two favorite sitcoms will be back for the season. “My Name Is Earl” and “Office”. They are both just extremely good in my opinion. They both have the kind of humor that is a human study. In both more is said visually by people’s expressions than spoken.

So, have you watched a good TV program lately?

5 comments:

Postino said...

I have enjoyed the first two episodes of Back To You with Kelsey Grammer and Patricia Heaton, both very fine actors. I also like the Mexican girl with the great hooters. They've got to give us guys something to make us tune in. I believe the setting of the show is Atlanta, although like Mary Tyler Moore's old show, I haven't seen anything but a newsroom set.

Pappy said...

They could have a show set in Hooters and show nothing but boobs. They'd have every guy in the country tuned in. Nobody would even care if it was funny.

Eddie said...

el,
I'll have to check that out! I wonder if my tivo can be programmed to just to catch the hooters. Earl has a Latino with hooters too.

Pappy,
You are so right! You and el postino both have excellent train of thoughts - I guess all great (male) minds think alike.

Michael Bains said...

In both more is said visually by people’s expressions than spoken.

Now THAT's cool and unusual.

Every once in a while I try to something on TV, but even shows I have enjoyed start to bore me way too quickly. I end up drifting off to the internets or whatever book/mag I'm currently reading.

Hope the new seasons are good for ya!

Eddie said...

Michael,
Thanks - the only ones I care about are on Thursday night. Usually thursday night is kind to me.