Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Ponderosa Carpet Company


Shopping wears me out. When go shopping I am exhausted. When we shop for one certain item visiting several stores comparing prices and products I am worn to a frazzle.

Now, I am beyond a frazzle.

We shopped for carpet most the day. We finally decided on giving our business to a locally owned carpet company which reminded me of the Cartwright family. Ben Cartwright, Hoss, Little Joe, and Whatzhisname Cartwright.

The three owners were not old men who all seemed related in one way or another. The first one was a big guy…. And when I first saw him I thought of Hoss Cartwright. And the other two men of the company didn’t look any thing like the other two Cartwright brothers, but, hey, the number was right.

When I first saw the big Hoss-look-alike, I almost said, “I hated to hear about your father passing… hey, you too – I hated you passed too.”

While we were comparing things between a couple of stores I made up a little story where the Cartwrights lost the Ponderosa to a crooked poker player and had to move east to Marietta, like every other opportunist, and open up a carpet store.

The carpet will be installed next Friday, the 14th. Oh me, more back breaking work.

Speaking of back breaking. While we were out Anna went to the chiropractor and I stayed in the car and read and watched people walk by. I saw an old man struggle to walk up a sidewalk and finally, just had to lie down and pull out a bottle of water and drink some of it and enjoy the shade. Just when I was about to get out and ask him if he needed anything he begin trudging up the hill again… poor guy. Also, from the building two doors down a guy on a motorcycle and no helmet drove away, breaking the law because he had no helmet and also breaking the law because he was on the sidewalk. He must have been trying out the cycle – he returned in just a few minutes.

In the chiropractor’s parking lot the receptionist took a break and walked around and around the parking lot, occasionally looping around to the back and returning – I suppose it was her break. Not only does she probably multi-task at her desk, but also out on her break – she was walking and talking on her cell phone, waving her hands as she talk. Why do people wave their hands when they talk on phones?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

ok...secret confession time...i had a huge crush on Hoss when i was a young girl.

Eddie said...

Bird,
And after you sent him that fan letter with your picture I bet he had a huge crush on your also.

Postino said...

You should know "Whatzhisname's" name...it's Adam.

Postino said...

You should know "Whatzhisname's" name...it's Adam.

Postino said...

Hey, look above you...no wonder people tell me I speak doubletalk.

Eddie said...

El,
Adam! That's right! (that was a test). And you are right, I think of that name many times each day, as in Adam my son.