Saturday, September 22, 2007

Burp!


As far as I know Willow caught and ate her first chipmunk today.

We heard her yip outside. I went to the window and looked out. She was lying on the ground playing with what I thought was a stick, like she sometimes does.

A minute or two later I heard her yip again and this time the 3 dogs from next door were barking also. I looked out and Willow was in her same position – then I saw the dark stick move and Willow raked it back towards her. It looked like a little mouse from the den window on the second level.

I rushed outside. When I got closer I saw that it was a little baby chipmunk. It was all wet from Willow’s slobber and looked in a daze. Willow was torturing it like a cat would to it’s victim. I reached down to get her collar and she grabbed her prize and leaped out of my reach. I tried again and again she ran twenty or so feet away.

“No way you are going to eat this after I did all the work catching it and torturing it!” she probably muttered.

I wanted to get her inside and then come back and kill the little baby chipmunk with a big rock or something to put it out of its misery. Willow had other plans.

I don’t want to punish her for killing and eating little rodents… her talent may come in handy if mice or rats ever decide to move in the neighborhood. So, I went back inside.

About an hour later she came back inside, she seemed quiet content with herself.

Later I expect to see that little animal’s stuffed carcass mounted on the wall in the basement where she hangs out when we are gone.

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

Ain't nature grand?

Eddie said...

Suzanne,
Well, Willow can't claim the Devil made her do it.
God made her do it.