Monday, April 23, 2007

Water and Good Parking Spaces

This morning was beautiful spring morning. There were no pollen scattered all over creation showing a strange orange-green glow. Maybe it was an radioactive pollen. Mother Nature huff and puffed and scattered the pollen all over for life to continue its sequence, but where the some of the pollen were program to land, planned millions years ago, there are parking lots and buildings. What now? Do the master planers go back and reprogram the pollen flow?

Yesterday was nice too. I went for a bike ride.

This morning I went for a walk and a run. My cardiologist told me I need to exercise strenuous enough to get my pulse between about 100 and 128 and keep it in that range for 30 minutes. So, that is what I do. I walk for about 30 minutes and run for 30 minutes.

If you could see me run, when I say “run” you might have to look the other way or scratch your nose or excuse yourself and leave quickly to cover up your smirk. Some people walk faster than I run.

I sort of sludge alone. My sludgging does the trick. I kept my heart rate up between 110 and 120 and worked up a good sweat.

Before I took off into my run about 2 blocks away a fire truck was by a fireplug and two firemen had a fireplug unplugged and water was come out at great force, disrupting a man’s yard work, sending loose debris into the gully by the street, then flowing on away.

A neighbor friend Omar was watching them. He told me there was a water main broken one block up the other way. He noticed it at 5am and called the water department. It was then 8:00 and no one from the water department has shown up yet. I don’t know how the fire department got involved in this.

One of the firemen said he was going home and water his yard and the water department better not say anything.

We are in a draught condition and there is a partial band on watering lawns. If your house had a odd number you can water certain days, and even number, the other days. The water department is authorized to issue citations for people who abuse the rules.

A few more blocks up and out of a subdivision and onto the main road that has a sidewalk I started running. On the sidewalk I plowed right through a sprinkler system and got wet – not too wet. A new two-building office park has a little bit of a lawn and they were watering it and the water was overlapping the edge of the newly planted grass and onto the pavement. They should be fine for watering the pavement!

Also it is an even day and they have an odd number, but I think with newly planted grass the rules are that rules don’t apply to you, and even if they did, being a business, of course the rules don’t apply to you.

I ran on up the street a half mile of or so and cut through a Baptist church parking lot. I noticed the handicapped spaces were the closet to the entrance doors. The next best parking places were the visitors. About 5 or 6 places were marked off for The Visitors. “Well, how nice” I thought, they give the visitors a red carpet treatment.

Wait! That is not it at all. That way, they can see what can of car they drive. If they come in a old heap with stickers all over it and a donut tire you can bet they won’t have anybody from church paying them a visit…… however, if they have a new shiny hog, the preacher himself might pay them a visit.

It was a good morning to exercise.

4 comments:

kenju said...

Take a run for me, huh? I need to exercise and I just can't make myself do it.

Eddie said...

Judy,
I feel like that at times too. I just can't talk myself into it, but when I do, I always feel better.

Anonymous said...

yahoo.comAs long as you are out there and moving, thats always going to be a plus. I have heard that once you stop after a certain age, thats when you really start to lose your fitness level. It takes a calendar to time me when i run, but i dont care.

Eddie said...

Steve,
I have a friend who used to run but doesn't anymore. He believes anybody our age that runs is a fool, and likely to end up with broken bones.
I have asked my bone doctor, and he said bone-wise there is no problem, check with my cardiologist, which I did, and he said go for it.