Sunday, April 22, 2007

Howard Finster (1916-2001)



These are pieces of art that I photographed in the Howard Finster section of the High Museum. If you click on any picture hopefully you will be able to read the scripture, and I do mean scripture.







You might notice that some of his spelling and some of his English usage is not textbook correct – but do you want “Good Grammar or Good Religion Inspiration?” (apologies to the old Winston Cigarette ad agency).

R.E.M. used one of his works of art for a CD jacket. R.E.M. is a Georgia based band and Howard Finster was a Georgia based preacher and artist. There could be a connection.







In order to take pictures of the Permanent Collection items you have to read and sigh the rules and regulations pertaining to taking pictures. And then wear the permit (self-adhesive) on your upper torso.




Even though I had permission the guard for that area got sort of nervous over what I was up to. She kept checking on my progress by coming around the corner quickly. What did she think I was going to do? Paint a mustache on somebody?


Howard Finster was a preacher and apparently an eccentric one. A picture of his property had endless objects with his art on them and his words about God and Jesus. I think you could say these were truly Divinely Inspirations.


4 comments:

kenju said...

I love seeing Howard Finster's art. We had some of it on loan in our museum here in Raleigh a few years ago. I think it is fascinating.

Eddie, you are welcome to the shirt.....LOL!

Eddie said...

Judy,
Thanks. I have plans for it.

Suzanne Reisman said...

This stuff is very cool. Thanks for sharing it.

Eddie said...

Suzanne,
As all eccentric artists, he had his own drummer.