Tuesday, April 10, 2007

The Invisible Man Rides the Elevator Up and Down

Early today I went to the doctor's office.

To get to the doctors office, I had to take the parking lot elevator to the 2nd floor of the doctors' building and walk across a balcony and take another elevator up to the 3rd floor. When I got off the parking lot elevator I was the nearest to the door so, as not to get in anybody's way, I bounded out and headed my way to the next elevator.

When I jumped out of the elevator first I heard an elderly lady behind me let out an exhaust breath which in body language would be saying "How rude"!

In the next elevator it just so happened that only she and I were in it. She glanced at me. I smiled and spoke. She looked straight ahead. Old crone!

When the elevator stopped I allowed her to get off first then I stepped off. My doctors group take up the whole 3rd floor. They have a young pretty lady who had the job of greeting patients stepping off the elevator and ask them where they are going.

After she is told their intended business she directs them to the proper hallway, door, office, or whatever. Which she did to the old crone and also to me.

I wonder if she ever considered a job at Wal-Mart greeting customers. Then she would get to wear a blue vest with little awards, patches, and medals on it.

Later, on my way out the same girl was dancing around the lobby by herself. It looked like a child's dance. She looked at me and told me she likes to watch old movies of Judy Garland and she was trying to dance like Judy Garland. She added that she only did that when she was there by the elevator by herself waiting for the next person to get off the elevator.

By herself? Just her and the elevator door? By herself?

6 comments:

Suzanne said...

Honestly, that sounds like a wretched job. For some odd reason, it strikes me as worse (although hopefully better paid) at the doc's office than at Wal-Mart.

Eddie said...

Suzanne,
Well, she makes her job non-boring. I remember another time she was alone (I don't count) and she pretended to be an airplane... she had her arms spread wide and she would go around and around the elevator lobby,like she was looking for a place to land.

Postino said...

Referring to both this blog and your relativity posting, and after observing your sense of observation: I think your mind works faster than the speed of light. Someday when your body stops your mind will keep traveling for lightyears before slowing down.

Eddie said...

el postino,
Thank you, but I think it will stop with a rather muffled thud.

kenju said...

I think if I were she, I would do my dancing IN the elevator (assuming it was otherwise empty).

Eddie said...

Judy,
She would probably prefer dancing alone in the elevator but then she would be away from her job. Her job is to greet people as they step off the elevator and find out their business and point them in the right direction.
Btw, I saw her again this morning, which I will post sometime today.