Monday, November 20, 2017

You Are Me?





Not long ago my 2.5 year-old grandson asked me, "Are you taking a picture of me?"

After thinking about it I think that question is a complicated sentence which took Tarzan years to understand.  In that one sentence he knows I am "YOU" and YOU are "ME".  I said, "Yes, I am taking a picture of YOU."  He would know in that sentence he is YOU not ME.  Also knowing the complexities of photography, that if you have the little machine, you can aim it at someone and have a likeness  of them.





I used Tarzan as an example because there is a dialog in a Tarzan movie where Jane is trying to teach Tarzan the YOU-ME concept, when he is ME and when he is YOU and when he is TARZAN.  It is as funny as the Abbott and Costello's "Who's On First."  By the way I don't think Tarzan (played by Johnny Weissmuller) ever did get the hang of it.  If I remember correctly  Tarzan called himself third-place TARZAN until the end of the old Tarzan movies..

No comments: