Wednesday, November 01, 2017

Pay it Forward or Backwards

I went to McDonald's Drive-through window the other day.  At the squawk box I ordered a senior cup of coffee.
At the window I had my money ready and the McDonald's employee told me it had been paid for by the guy that just went through. 
I looked up at the car and whoever it was it was gave me a wave.
When I got home I told Anna about my free cup of coffee and she said now I need to "pay it forward".
Wait!  It would no longer be free if I passed the money down the line, and the person would feel obligated to past in down the line.  It seems the money the originator paid would have fizzled in vain if it was just past down the line, and everybody ended up paying anyway.  The supposedly free coffee would have had no purpose because it was no longer free.
And another thing.  I think technically in the case of McDonald's Drive-Thru, it was not a "Pay It Forward", instead it was "Pay It Backwards."

Maybe people who "Pay It Backwards" should have a bumper sticker saying that is what they do.

If I saw a "Pay it Backwards" bumper sticker on the car in front of me in line, it might have made a difference of what I would order.  Like a discounted Senior Coffee.

Speaking of Moochers:

No comments: