Saturday, December 11, 2010

The Canoe aka Robinson Tropical Gardens



On our 43rd anniversary Thursday we had lunch at the Canoe Restuarant in Vinings, Georgia.

When I was a teenager the Canoe was then named Robinson’s Tropical Gardens. Robinson’s Tropical Gardens was a good place to go prom when you and your date were all dressed up in your finery, or so I heard. After high school the Robinson family’s daughter, whose parents owned the restaurant, carpooled with us to Atlanta every day. I think she and her family lived next door to Robinson’s Tropical Gardens. We would pick her up in front of the restaurant and let her out at the same place every day. She was quiet and easy going.

I don’t know if it is true or not but I heard that Robinson’s Tropical Gardens sold mixed drinks. Selling mix drinks in Cobb County back then was a no no. Cobb County was dry.

Snap! Back to the present! We were stepping out into a sunroom overlooking the Chattahoochee River.

Our waitress acted like a thrilled teenager when she learned that it was our first time at the Canoe and she got to tell us all about the restaurant; like how dedicated the chefs are and it is so much like a one big happy family. She said it was owned by 3 men. One of the men, I didn’t retain his name, also is co-owner with Ted Turner of Ted’s Montana Grill chain.

She couldn’t say enough good things about the place. She had been there only a short time. I wonder, if five or ten years from now she will still be mesmerized with the Canoe?

The people were not snobs. In fact, they all were very friendly. The food was good and the river side atmosphere was great.

While we were eating Anna saw two Canadian Geese fly low, just a few feet above the Chattahoochee’s water, upstream.

Next to us was a big table with about 7 women and 1 man. At the side of the table were a lot of brightly wrapped presents for someone(s) to unwrap. I think it was some kind of nearby office Christmas party.

I went outside and took some pictures of the river and hoping two more geese would get the idea to flap those wings and take a trip up the river just like their friends did, so I could get a picture. No such luck.

When I walked up the steps and tried to open the door back into the sunroom I discovered the doorknob was locked. It locks on the outside when the door is shut. People inside were having a good time laughing and cackling and not looking my way. The invisible man strikes The Canoe.

I shook and banged on the door and the party of 7 females and 1 male saw me. He ran over and opened the door smiling and with a big grin asked me for the password.

I couldn't think of anything witty so I just said "food!" in a joking way and I guess it was the right password, he held the door opened and stepped aside.

For lunch I had salmon on a bed of spaghetti squash, greenery, and other tasty stuff. The salmon was very good. Anna had a crab cake also on top of a bed of other garden stuff. She said it was the best crab cake she has ever had.

For dessert Anna had crème brulee and I had a cute little cake of some kind with plenty of icing. “HAPPY ANNIVERSARY” was written in chocolate on my dessert plate (see video).

When we got up to leave the gentleman with the 7 women said something jokingly to us. Anna said something to him about it looks like he has his own harem.

He laughed and said, “You are not far wrong.”

And one of the women said, “I heard that!”

Afterwards we settled up and paid the valet we walked around the building down by the river. On the back deck was some kind of weird duck looking in the plate glass door at the people eating (see video).

He was probably quacking “Anybody called wanting to see a duck fly low over the river?”

2 comments:

kenju said...

I think I might like going there to eat! The scenery was nice - but I feel sorry for the duck - he needed a handout.

Anonymous said...

Nice viedo but really good sound track. Love the music as it allways takes me home for a moment or two.