Monday, July 12, 2010

You Say "Tomatoes"



And I say "‘maters."

A few days ago I dropped by Krogers Grocery Store to buy one or two items. Before going inside I stopped still at a display they had in front of the store. Tomato pots!

They had rows of what looked like tomato bushes in little pots for sale for $12.99 each. They also had pepper pots, which had small red and green peppers, but my main focus was the tomato pots.

For $12.99 hmmmmm? I walked around looking at each pot. Each pot had a lot of tomatoes just ready to be picked.

I heard a faint “Eddie” come from deep within the bushes. They were calling my name.

I wondered if the tomato plants would produce $12.99 worth of tomatoes. A little elderly lady was studying the pots too. I asked her if she thought it would produce $12.99 worth of tomatoes.

She had a yankee accent. That little old lady talked faster than a used car salesman. She said each one had $12.99 on it now. She said that was the best way to get them, just pluck them off the bush when you wanted one… no wedding, no hassles or anything. She picked out a pot and went and got a grocery cart.

I wondered if she moved here to be near her grandchildren or did she move here because her husband got transferred here many years ago and they fell in love with the area and decided to stay. Then I thought, “what does it matter?”

Somebody else came by and picked out a tomato pot and a pepper pot and left. I panicked ! They were going like hotcakes!

On impulse I picked out a nice fully loaded pot too.

We have been eating a lot of tomatoes lately. Although, I am glad I didn’t get the peppers, my stomach can only take so much.

2 comments:

Susan Tidwell said...

Wow, that's the way to do it, let the store grow it until it starts producing then you take it home!

Eddie said...

Susan,
I wish they had sweet white corn pots.