Friday, January 15, 2010

Good Eats!


Yesterday, my first cousin Bobby called me and said he had came across some old pictures of Marietta he would like to lend me so I can copy them and use them on Chicken-Fat.

We agreed to meet at a half-way point, which was John-Boys Restaurant on Canton Highway. He said he and his wife Evelyn were meeting friends at John-Boys. I told them I would meet them inside.

John-Boys in a country-cooking-all-you-can-eat-buffet. It is a prime culinary example of southern cooking. The food is divine and people of all walks of life come to the restaurant daily. Unless you go there during off hours it is hard finding a parking place. At times I had to drive around and around until somebody strolled out picking their teeth heading for their car.

I have heard several people say John-Boy’s makes the best southern fried chicken that they have ever tasted. I concur. We have eaten there several times and the chicken is divine. You half-way expect the kitchen to be staffed with the elderly motherly type of women that have gentle expressions

Not so, they are not elderly and the ones I saw were not female.

The restaurant is owned and operated by Asians who have keen eyes on what Southerners want to eat, and they not only duplicated it but made it even tastier.

As usual I had a hard time finding a parking place.

I finally parked near the back kitchen door, near the motherly type cooks, who were two young men outside on break, talking on their cell phones and smoking.

As planned, went inside to meet up with Bobby. Bobby had the pictures we talked about and he gave me a quick run-through of the pictures pointing out notable Mariettans which promptly went in one ear and out the other. I am going to have to call Bobby and get those names again.

I thanked him and turned to go out. I saw those legs, breasts, and thighs beckoning me. I wondered what management would say or do if I just reached down and grabbed one. A piece of fried chicken, that is.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

YEAH, RIIIIGGGHHHHT!
CHICKEN EH?
PR

Unknown said...

Based on your recommendation and knowing that you have the inside scoop on most of the dining establishments this side of the county, the wife and I went there tonight for dinner. I have been passing by John-Boys Restaurant for years, but had never stopped in to eat. We found very tasty and well prepared food served in a friendly warm atmosphere at some very popular prices! We will certainly be back again as it is very close for us over here in Noonday. "Good Eats" indeed! Thanks for the info!

Eddie said...

Shafik,
I'm glad you like it. Leaver your calorie counter at the door.
You have a neat blog. Also, looking at your profile I see we have some similar interests.
I need to update my profile.