Saturday, November 14, 2009

Helen Hogan


This evening I learned through our class newsletter than an old friend had died, Mrs. Helen Hogan, at age 104.

At one time Mrs. Hogan was the city’s truant officer. Then, her office was next to Mr. Cox’s office. Mr. Cox was the assistant principal then.

I think that was when I was in the 9th grade. Sometimes, I when I was sent to Mr. Cox’s office and he wasn’t there I wandered next door and sat down and talked to Mrs. Hogan. She was a very nice alert lady. She told me many of the reason kids skipped school, which to hear her tell it, the parents were more to blame than the children, most the time. She took her job to heart.

I remember her glasses were attached to little cords which kept them from dropping to the floor and breaking…and also helped her not to lose them. I think that is the first time I noticed that sort of cord. I just vaguely remember her glasses, but I think they had a special color or something.

She had a son named G. which was in my class and he was very relaxed and friendly. She had another son who I think was either in the GBI or FBI.

A couple years later she became the Superintendent of the school lunch program at school. About that time she also started a catering business after hours. She recruited several of the lunchroom ladies to help her and a few of us boys. Monty and I helped for about $5 and something to eat. We usually did something like put the plates, silverware, and napkins down at banquets and things.

Mrs. Anderson, a lunchroom lady, and a mother of a friend, also helped. Mrs. Hogan might have been the reason Mrs. Anderson went into the catering business. She catered our wedding. And her daughter catered my parents’ 50th wedding anniversary and also my mother and father- in-laws’ 50th.

The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.

Mrs. Hogan died in Tampa. I don’t know the exact date. She was 104 years old. That is a long time. I’m sure the people who saw her regularly will miss her.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting!
I don't remember Mrs. Hogan. I'm surprised she didn't "visit" my parents once and a while. Connie and I skipped school one day ... not big deal, but we decided to take in a movie at the Strand. Mrs. Swain went balistic because Connie's Mom denied we went to the movies.

Anonymous said...

Mrs. Anderson's daughter catered your parent's 50th. You mean "Linda"?

Eddie said...

G,
No, not Linda. Her younger sister Ester Anderson Underwood.