Friday, May 09, 2008

William D. Petty (1834 – 1917).




Here William D. Petty poses in his CSA uniform. He was my great grandfather Daniel Webster Petty’s brother.

William was born in North Carolina but as a toddler moved with his family to Fanning County, Georgia. He had moved to Murray County, Georgia, by 1857.

He was a postmaster of Cisco, Georgia, Census taker, and a member of the Murray County Board of Education. Being a postmaster of small town, I bet he was a store owner too.

William was married three times. He and his first wife Lizzy Harris had seven children. The other two wives were late in life and no children were produced.




William loved to quote from the Bible and sing religious hymns.

William and his wives are buried in the same plot at Sumac Presbyterian
church Cemetery – Crandall, Murray Co., GA

2 comments:

Deb Goodrich said...

What wonderful photos. You are so lucky to have them. The big chicken is great, too. Not every city, as you pointed out, has a big chicken. Your observations on the waiting rooms are pricelss and I have to tell you, even the waiting rooms in the South are more interesting. One visit to the doctor back home and my husband was just blown away.

Eddie said...

Deb,
Thank you, and yes I know how lucky I am to have a good collection of old family photos.
Thank you for the ego boost. That helps the inner-me.
And let me return the favor. I really enjoy your and your husband's website and your relentless pursuit of historical sites... y'all remind me of some kind of horseback raiders going from one museum or historical site after another, and instead of shooting guns, you are taking pictures and taking notes. Going to your site is always a nice fun educational read.
Please keep it up.