Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The Fabulous Fun Freaky Fox Theatre postcard


This is the main showing room of the Fox Theatre. I mentioned “main” because the Fox Egyptian style building also has a mini theaters I think I read it is for reviewers. It also has a radio station, an ornate Egyptian Ballroom, and an apartment for the person who saved the Fox from Bell South’s bulldozers, but that is another story.

This room we are looking at has 4,600 seats and great acoustics

You can not tell by the postcard, but the blue ceiling has little twinkling lights, like stars on a clear night…. Just all the more to enhance you.

See on the left part of the stage, it is hard to see but it is giant organ. The man who saved the Fox also was an expert on things like antique organs and he repaired it back in working order. The organ has a nickname, but I forgot what it is called. When we took a tour of the Fox a few years ago, the person who plays that organ just happened to be there, and treated our tour group with several songs. He also “just happened” to have on hand some of his CDs of music he made from that organ… oh, did I mention that he has played with all the greats? Such as Henry Mancini, Frank Sinatra, etc.

A long time ago, before I was grown I remember the organ player was Bob Van Camp. Bob Van Camp was also an announcer on WSB Radio.

If I remember correctly, Bob Van Camp also co-host a live TV show – this was in black and white, before color TV – with Bert Parks. The show was with about 10 or 15 ladies, who were the guests for the show that day and they would play games…. I think possibly the Woody Willow show stemmed from this daily show… same format almost, except replace the women with kids and you didn’t show cartoons – maybe with the cartoons the ratings went up… so, who is going to watch cartoons more eagerly, women or kids?

Besides Bob Van Camp on the live show with Bert Parks, again, if I remember correctly, were Boots Woodall and the Peachtree Cowboys doing their music singing non-controversial songs, such as “Git Along Little Doggie.”

But back to the Fabulous Fox. Growing up I have been to the Fox many times and after we were married we went on occasion and we went to a few concerts there also. I remember we Kris Kristofferson give a concert there. I think that was the time the Fox was looking shabby and was on the verge of being Bell South’s newly paved parking lot.

After Rocky and Adam came alone we took them to see JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR and HAIR there.

And I think most recently we went to a female country singer concert, as guests of Anna’s uncle and aunt.

Each time, except the Kristofferson concert, I was awed by the grandeur and just how plush everything looked.

It is an impressive place. The postcard doesn’t do it justice.

4 comments:

kenju said...

I saw it back in the early 80's, I think, and it looked great to me - even then.

Eddie said...

Judy,
Yes it did and does. Grand and Magnificent are words that come to mind.

Anonymous said...

When I drop by for a few weeks years ago, I spent one of my days there. I have absolutly no memory of the movie as I spend my entire time looking around being truly amazed at the grandeur of the place.

Eddie said...

Reuben,
You are right. You can go there and walk away trying to remember the details of the place and forget the movie - what movie?