Thursday, May 29, 2008

Daniel Webster & Nancy Jane Garrett Petty


The above picture is of my great grandparents, on my mother's side, Daniel Webster Petty (1843-1913) and Nancy Jane Garrett (1850-1929). Daniel was born North Carolina, probably McDowell County, but spent his youth in the Fannin County, Georgia, where his wife was born. And that is where they married.

December 31, 1862 - Daniel Enlisted in the Confederate Army Co B, 65th Regiment, Ga. Infantry. Daniel spent a good bit of time sick in the hospital and finally became a member of the medical corp. There, he contacted piles, which he suffered with the rest of his life.

Daniel's unit saw action in Mobile, Alabama, and several battles that his unit had in common with my great grandfather William A. Trammell (then - now Hunter) unit NC 39TH Infantry, Co. I. And William spent some time in hospital care too. I wonder if they ran into each other - maybe talked to each other, each not knowing their genes would meet about 70 some-odd years later. It is a small world and even smaller then.

In 1890, at age 46, Daniel and his family moved to Murray County, Georgia. He had several siblings who already moved there.

4 comments:

Si's blog said...

The only knowledge of my ancestors and The War of Northern Aggression is a great-grandfather who was a drummer in the Pennsylvania Infantry.

Put what I do know on this website: http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/d/a/u/Silas-Clark-Daugherty/index.html

Go to My Heritage and read the Hall accounts.

Eddie said...

Si,
You FTM site is very interesting. I love those old photos!

I did have one years ago with FTM, I need to check to see if it is still active, I don't even know how.

Anonymous said...

The date of marriage on the certificate is recorded as 21 Sep 1873, but not signed until 30 May 1925. Any insight into that? Or did I miss something?

Eddie said...

Reuben,
You have a sharp eye, I didn't catch that. He died in 1913, which was about 12 years before the marriage certificate issued ... she died in 1929, 4 years after the certificate. The only thing I can think of is that she applied for a widow's CSA pension, which Georgia did pay.