Monday, April 14, 2008

Yesterday's Stars of Tomorrow


On my routine daily visits to several on-line newspapers to check their obituaries for genealogical purposes, on the front page of the Franklin Press of Franklin, North Carolina, had had a picture of a young lady, probably about 10 or 11, in cowboy duds, apparently belting out a song, and by her expression, was doing a good job. Underneath the picture it said she was performing at a Showcase Talent Show, held locally, for a program called Stars of Tomorrow.

It brought back memories of the Sunday local TV program, in yesteryear, which was also named Stars of Tomorrow. I think the name of the emcee was Freddy Miller. Freddy was a soft-spoken but hyped up guy that seemed to give all the little future stars positivism and encouragement.

During my teen years, whenever I was home on Sunday I would try to catch the program. The short skits, performed usually by teens or younger were very entertaining. When the performance was good it was good and when the performance was bad it was very bad.

Sometimes I would know the performers. I remember two girls that I were friends with, Patsy and Linda, who had their own baton twirling act, were on more than once. I made a point to be in front of a TV to watch them. That was when TV was in black and white.

On national TV was the Ted Mack Amateur Hour which was more polished and sophisticated and predictable. In other words, bo-ring!

Stars of Tomorrow was no American Idol… I think it was better. It had no harsh judges.

4 comments:

Deborah Wilson said...

I never watch American Idol - the rudeness is over-whelming. I much prefer to go to the local venues and hear local musicians/talent, it's much more interesting. Now that The Strand is being remodeled and Sidelines on Roswell Street has closed out The Dark Side, there's not much of a local venue left in Marietta for musicians.

Hopefully, another one will open soon - but I think the more serious artists are more interested in the Concert Series.

Eddie said...

Deborah,
I never have sat down and watched American Idol either... however, other shows show Simeon putting rudely humiliating somebody - not my cup of tea.
We just leaned of a live bluegrass place at Adam's Park in Kennesaw. It is the same people (I think) that did the Acworth Opry - now has it going in Kennesaw, a certain Friday every month. Go to KennesawOpry.com to find out more.

Deborah Wilson said...

Thanks for the link, I'll check out the web site tomorrow and see what's going on. I love bluegrass! There's nothing like the sound of guitar and banjo.

Eddie said...

Deborah,
I love bluegrass too. Also, blues, jazz, dixieland, folk, and other stuff.

We went to the Acworth Opry regularly and will check out the Kennesaw Opry. I see the Jot-em-boys own it now, and they are very good pickers - we will probably go a lot.