Thursday, April 03, 2008

Coupons


In the other day’s page of Uncle John’s Bathroom Reader Page-a-Day Calendar said that only 6% of coupons are redeemed.

That means that 94% are not redeemed.

However, what if 100% of the coupons are redeemed – what would happen? Nothing, they would just honor it. No problem, companies allow for that and charge enough to make up for 100% of the coupon redemption rate.

They know from the past that 94% will not use their coupons – so what they allowed becomes pure uncut profit.

Which reminds me of the Far Eastern Indians. This may appear to be profiling. Well, I guess it is, but I prefer to think of it as, “If the shoe fits….”. I have noticed that most Eastern Indians that run a cash register hate coupons.

I think coupons goes against what they have been taught about bartering. To them, maybe a person using a coupon is trying to get something for a less than fair price. I think they might think only greedy people use coupons…. So?

One time I dropped by a yogurt store to buy two orders of yogurt to-go. A nice young looking Indian man was the owner. He was by himself that night I think. It was an off winter-night, so why pay a teenager girl to sit around, with not many customers – if any, and talk on her cell phone?

I came in and I suppose I look polite enough to let him vent with me. He was fussing about coupons. He was raving about how there are so many people always wanting something for nothing and using coupons (he said ‘coupons’ in a hateful sort of way).. and he went on and on. I noticed around his eyes the flesh was darker than the rest of his face – he sort of like a rabid mask man.

Finally, he finished ranting and asked me what could he get for me. I told him two white-chocolate small cups, and I had a coupon to buy one and get one free.

I think his Long Ranger’s mask suddenly got darker. His smile froze into a strained teeth exposed stretched jaw.

No comments: