Thursday, April 03, 2008

George Washington postcard



This portrait was made by Gilbert Stuart (1755-1828). He did some other interesting and controversial portraits – run a Google and see.

Yesterday I made the statement that I read that George Washington had visited The Pirate House in Savannah and I also read in another source it was about the same time period that he came to Savannah to visit the widow of General Nathan Greene at the Mulberry Plantation.

Somebody doubted that – also somebody said to complicate things the Greenes had a son named George Washington Greene.

Well, who knows?
If anybody knows,
Moe knows.

4 comments:

Deborah Wilson said...

I don't know the answer. But I do have a question - why do the British still continue to wear white wigs?

Si's blog said...

Enjoyed the hint to see more about Stuart. Interesting.

While doing it, I clicked on T.J.'s Wikipedia link. Found that it was blank except for a statement that Thomas Jefferson is gay. What idiots will do is astonishing.

Just went back to Wikipedia and it is fixed. Fast work.

Eddie said...

Deborah,
I don't know why the British continue to wear wigs. I'm been thinking of getting one myself to cover my bald head.
We have been watching the weekly installments of John Adams on HBO - The French war wigs too.. but they may quit when they discovered it doesn't help keep your head on.

Eddie said...

Si,
I thought it was interesting that one of the paintings of what looks like a dignitary they are not sure exactly who he is - only guesses.
I quickly glanced it over. I need to go back and read it more closely.