Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Wednesday Morning

Today I had a plan. It was not to just get up, drink coffee, listen to the news, fiddle with the computer and then go exercise.

Well, yes it was too. That was exactly what I did.

However!!! (pointing my forefinger upward to make a point) it is where I went to exercise. I went to the Silver Comet Trail, between 12 and 15 miles away.

The Silver Comet Trail is an old railroad bed, or trestle that is no longer in use by trains. Several organizations and counties got together and paved it for exercise purposes. I think it runs through three or four counties and I read someplace when it is complete it will be sixty miles long – which will just about take it to the Alabama line.

People walk, run, ride their bikes, and skate on the trail.

At different points they have rest rooms, bicycle shops, and at one point even a coffee shop that has a sign up that says “Fresh Donuts!” I bet donuts is a big seller among those trying to exercise…. I’m sure it gives some of those who are just starting to exercise a challenge. If they could only direct a fan to throw a donut scented breeze out to the trail.

I usually ride a portion of the trail a few times a year. My purpose in going today, is it is time for my bike’s 30 Day Checkup. I thought I might be able to give the bike mechanic the information he is looking for if I drove it a long time and I maybe I could detect something imperfect.

It is always a scenic ride over bridges; through short tunnels; new giant houses sometimes to the side, farms, gardens, greenery of trees, valleys, and many times you are in a cutaway path of bedrock or slate, that was made for the railroad many years ago. There is also a covered bridge within rock throwing distance, but I don’t think you can actually see it from the trail.

I don’t know, I have not studied the railways of Georgia history, but I would think that when it was a railway bed, it probably the trains coming through here were going to or just left a little section where to railways crossed, which was named Terminus. Terminus later changed its name to Marthasville and later changed its name to Atlanta.

After all, the Chattahoochee River is probably less than 5 or 6 miles away, and once you cross it you are in Atlanta’s city limits.

One thing was different than the last time I was on the Silver Comet Trail. On the news yesterday a man attacked two women, in the same area I was riding. When I passed people there seemed to be a distrust in the air. Very few lone women greeted me back when I spoke, waved, or nodded. I can’t say I blame them.

Afterwards, I went back to where I bought my bike and told the mechanic I heard a minor squeaking. He oiled and tightened everything up and off I went, happy.

Then, I went to my favorite Krogers to buy some groceries. It was sort of sad. They will close in about two weeks and they are reducing the prices… they just started doing that while I was there. My sadness was quickly replaced by greed as I started looking for some bargains.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

sounds like a good day!

Eddie said...

Bird,
And it isn't over yet! I just saw my first hummingbird for the season.

Anonymous said...

Going to new places can have a big effect on your exercise (in my humble opinion). I often find that I get stale if i go over the same area over anbd over and lose enthusiams. To me it doesnt matter if you are running, wlaking or jogging- its just a little law i have.

sounds like the Kroger is anothger victim of the wal-marts.

Eddie said...

Steve,
Krogers, I think, is a victim of Walmarts, Publix, and other Krogers. The put a new Krogers about 2 miles east on the same road as the one closing.
Yeah, I love going on new trails, terrains, and stuff.
Now, I am searching for a park with a good exercise trail system in Cherokee County, which could be closer to me than the southern part of Cobb County.

kenju said...

I was eating dinner last Sat. night in my kitchen and a hummingbird hovered outside the kitchen doors for at least a minute. I love to see them, and used to everyday when I had hibiscus plants on the deck.

Eddie said...

Judy,
They (hummingbirds) are smart little things. One time when I was cleaning a feeder with the hose I felt my ears vibrate and I looked up and found myself eye-to-eye with a little hb.
I think he was sizing me up - trying to figure just what it would take to bring me down.

Unknown said...

ed, hummingbirds are quite aggressive little things, especially towards each other. i used to hang hummingbird feeders. i usually had one hummingbird that came all the time and spent a lot of his time chasing other hummingbirds away. he even dive-bombed my sister once.

also, my mom got forced into retirement due in large part (IMHO) to walmart. the little grocery store she worked for just couldn't compete.

Eddie said...

Walmart should be the one to pay the people's early retirment and unemployment since they are the ones that caused it.
Somebody told me the male hummingbird is the aggressive ones - and I think that same person told me the males have a ring around their neck.

Anonymous said...

Good luck on finding the trail. Generally I have been running and walking on asphalt which tends to hurt my club foot. Gravel or dirt do better for me but I hate the thought of driving so that I can exercise. I think even switching the type of exercise you do can be beneficial. When winter gets here the xbike will be a bit more of a challenge.

Eddie said...

I found on the net about 3 or 4 parks in Cherokee County that has walking trails but only one that is a bike trail.... and I think it is a mountain bike trail - which would not suit me, (1)I have a street bike (2) I have a weak heart.