Saturday, July 15, 2006

1st Block Away From The Center of Marietta


This is the first block of Atlanta Street after leaving the center Square of Marietta. I was born on this street about 3 blocks down. This first block I think I could walk down it blindfolded and stop at any door and tell you who was there years ago, and maybe who is there now. Cox Printing has been there ever since I remember and the store just up from them that sold stamp and coins and also Western Union grams... Now that Western Union is out of business what will they do? As long as no body tells them they will be happy.

One time in recent times I was running on a Sunday morning on that block and suddenly around the corner ran a black man who as soon as he got around the corner, ducked int a doorway and leaned against the wall. And just then a Marietta police car cruised by going slow. The whole time I was running towards him. As soon as the police car cruised out of sight he stepped out from the bulding as walked normally like an ordinary citizen. He said "Good monring" to me and I said the same. It was a great to be alive.

My father was the police chief just across the street about 50 years before.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

He was probably out for a jog and stopped to rest. I do that a lot.

Eddie said...

I'm sure.