Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Bob & Ada Prance Bettis


This is Anna's great-great uncle. I mentioned him before saying Bob Bettis Road is named after him and also Anna used to go swimming in their pond when she was young. Here is some more stuff I just found about Bob Bettis and his daughter.

This was in a Piedmont Baptist Church write up of one of the elderly members who just died by the name of Corine. Incidentally, our street is named after her - her father developed this area into a subdivision.
This is a couple of segments of the write up:

Corinne's involvement with her church grew as she grew. A different kind of fishing, the kind for souls, was being done at the creek on Bob Bettis' farm. Corinne, along with 48 other people, was Baptized, officially bring her into the Lord's Kingdom.

At recess, while other children went out to play, Corinne and her friend Leila Pearl Bettis would have to put their heads on their desks and rest. Corinne would smile to tell this story, "My teacher knew how far we had to walk and knew we would need the rest to be ready to go all the home in the afternoon."
- Taken from "The History of Laura Corinne (nee' Stephens) Ledford, by Maria Struder.

After I read that I looked up Lela Pearl Bettis in my genealogical data and saw that Leila Pearl Bettis lived only 20 years. She was born in 1910 and died in 1930.

4 comments:

kenju said...

When I saw that photo, I thought how "old" they looked, but they were probably in their late teens or twenties. Nice pic.

Anonymous said...

Its a very formal photo- I think they probably went somewhere and were required by the equipment for a very long period of time.

Eddie said...

Judy - Bob was born in 1868 and his wife Ida Prance was born in 1878. Their first born was born 1898, so if that is their first born, which it probably is then Ida would barely be over 20 and Bob, just over 30.
Steve -Yes, it tis a formal looking photo, AN'T it?

Anonymous said...

Hello,

My daughter found your blog when googling her name which is Corinne, after my grandmother, Corinne Ledford.

I wrote that piece about my grandmother for Sandy Plains Baptist church where she was a member all her life. Letia Pearl was a good friend of hers, and after all this time, she still spoke wistfully of a life cut short.

Maria Struder

PS Love the photo